Founded in 1996, VSPM’s DCRC has the distinction of being the first private dental college established in Nagpur, Central Maharashtra. The College is part of a dynamic health professions division at VSPM AHE that includes a college of medical sciences, nursing, and physiotherapy.
VSPM’s Dental College started the Bachelor of Dental Sciences (B.D.S) course in the year 1996 with an intake of 60 and the present capacity is of 100 undergraduate students per year.
It is mandatory that the candidate fulfills the eligibility criteria set by “The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test- for Undergraduate” (NEET-UG) to gain admissions in an undergraduate course of dentistry. Selection of students depends on their score secured in the above-mentioned examination and is as per the regulations laid down by the Directorate of Medical Education and Research, Maharashtra DMER
|1||Dr. Alka Dive||Professor & HOD||Chairperson|
|3||Dr. Jaya Joshi||A.P.||Member|
|4||Dr. Neena Dongre||A.P.||Member|
|5||Dr. Purva Chaudhari||Sr.Lecturer||Member Secretary|
|6||Dr. S. Bhattacharya||Lecturer||Member|
|7||Dr. Vidya Mokhade||Lecturer||Member|
|8||Dr. J. Chahande||Lecturer||Member|
|9||Dr. Anita kahar||Lecturer||Member|
The dental graduates during training in the institutions should acquire adequate knowledge, necessary skills and reasonable attitudes which are required for carrying out all activities appropriate to a general dental practice involving the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of anomalies and diseases of the teeth, mouth, jaws and associated tissues. The graduate also should understand the concept of community oral health education and be able to participate in the rural health care delivery programs existing in the country.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Adequate knowledge of the scientific foundations on which dentistry is based and a good understanding of various relevant scientific methods, principles of biological functions and be able to evaluate and analyze scientifically various established facts and data.
- Adequate knowledge of the development, structure, and function of the teeth, mouth, and jaws and associated tissues both in health and disease and their relationship and effect on general state of health and also bearing on the physical and social well being of the patient.
- Adequate knowledge of clinical disciplines and methods which provide a coherent picture of anomalies, lesions, and diseases of the teeth, mouth and jaws and preventive diagnostic and therapeutic aspects of dentistry.
- Adequate clinical experience required for general dental practice.
- Adequate knowledge of the constitution, biological function, and behavior of persons in health and sickness as well as the influence of the natural and social environment on the state of health in so far as it affects dentistry.
- Able to diagnose and manage various common dental problems encountered in general dental practice keeping in mind the expectations and the right of the society to receive the best possible treatment available wherever possible.
- Acquire the skill to prevent and manage complications if encountered while carrying out various surgical and other procedures.
- Possess skill to carry out certain investigative procedures and ability to interpret laboratory findings.
- Promote oral health and help prevent oral diseases where possible.
- Competent in the control of pain and anxiety among the patients during dental treatment.
- Willing to apply the current knowledge of dentistry in the best interest of the patients and the community.
- Maintain a high standard of professional ethics and conduct and apply these in all aspects of professional life.
- Seek to improve awareness and provide possible solutions for oral health problems and needs throughout the community.
- Willingness to participate in the CPED Programmes to update the knowledge and professional skill from time to time.
- To help and participate in the implementation of the national oral health policy. The total duration of the B.D.S course is 5 years which includes a 1-year compulsory internship at the end of the course. VSPM’s Dental College and Research Centre are affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS), Nashik. Thus the institute follows the rules and regulations laid down by MUHS and Dental Council of India (DCI). Syllabus for a 4-year undergraduate course is given by MUHS (https://www.muhs.ac.in/showpdf.aspx?src1=https://intranet.muhs.ac.in/syllabus.aspx), which includes 7 different subjects distributed amongst four years of the course.
SUBJECTS OF STUDY
- General Human Anatomy including Embryology and Histology.
- General Human Physiology and Biochemistry.
- Dental Anatomy, Embryology, and Oral Histology.
- General Pathology and Microbiology.
- General and Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Dental Materials.
- Pre-clinical Prosthodontics.
- Preclinical Conservative Dentistry.
- General Medicine.
- General Surgery.
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics.
- Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry.
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge.
- Public Health Dentistry.
INTERNSHIP 1 year