The Department is involved in various Surgical and Non Surgical treatment procedures like Scaling and Root Planing, Flap Surgeries, Periodontal Plastic, and Esthetic Surgeries, Dental Implants, Sinus Augmentation, Ridge Augmentation, and Bone Grafting Procedures, LASERS, etc.
It has a separate Implantology section dedicated to Dental Implant Procedures. The Department has conducted various CDE Programmes on interesting topics like “E-Cigarettes and Periodontal Disease ”, on Oral Hygiene Day, Modern approaches to Oral Hygiene” etc. It has successfully hosted the 41st National Conference of the Indian Society of Periodontology as well as National Colloquium and Symposiums.
The Department conducts the MUHS Fellowship Course in Oral Implantology and Nobel Biocare Implant Fellowship Course for the Postgraduate students on a yearly basis. The Department is one of the centers approved by the MUHS, Nashik for Ph.D. courses in Periodontics and Implantology with three Professors approved as Ph.D. guides from the Department.
Overall department Achievements
- Awarded VSPM’s Dental College and Research Centre’s Best Performing Department 2019, on 26th January 2020.
- VSPM’s Dental College and Research Centre has been awarded First Position at Indian Society of Periodontology for Oral Hygiene Day Celebration 2020.
- Oral Hygiene Day Celebration 2020 National Webinar series conducted.
- ISP National quiz competition ‘synapse’-2020 conducted.
- ISP National Video blogging contest 2020 conducted.
- E-Poster & e-slogan competition conducted.Aug 2020
- E-Essay competition conducted Aug 2020
- Painting competition conducted Aug 2020
Dr. Abhay Kolte
Professor and Head,
Has over 100 publications in various National & International Journals.
- Has presented scientific papers at Local, State and National level in various Conferences.
- Keynote speaker at State and National IDA Conferences as well as Specialty Conferences.
Recipient of Awards in Scientific and Extra Curricular Activities
- Dr. G. B. Shankwalkar Memorial Dental Research Paper Prize for the year 2003.
- First Prize, Late Dr. Ratan H. Doctor Award for being most active / outstanding Indian Dental Association, Head Office Member, Jaipur 1996-97.
- IDA Thane Branch Award for Best Local Branch Secretary of IDA Maharashtra State Branch 2005-06.
- Dr. I.R. Goela Award for Best Local Branch Secretary of IDA at National Level 2005-06.
- Dr. U.S. Krishnanayak Award for Best Local Branch President of IDA at National Level 2010.
- Dr. Shardini Dahanukar Best Teacher Award by Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
- Special Appreciation Award of IDA Head Office for Best IDA State Branch President.
Important Positions Held
- Hon. Secretary – Indian Dental Association Nagpur Branch 2004-2006.
- Organizing Secretary - 62 nd Indian Dental Conference, Nagpur, 12-15 February 2009.
- Member – Board of Studies, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik. (2006-2011 and currently)
- President – Indian Dental Association Nagpur Branch 2008-09. Organizing Chairman – 41 st National Conference of Indian Society of Periodontology, Nagpur, October 2016.
- President of Indian Dental Association Maharashtra State Branch 2017-18.
- Hon. Secretary of Indian Society of Periodontology (2016-19).
Dr. Rajashri Kolte
- Merit award by ISP for standing first in subject of Periodontology at the final professional examination 1995
- Colgate gold medal for obtaining highest percentage of marks in BDS examination by Nagpur University in
- Second prize in essay competition by IDA Thane branch in 1997
- Second prize in essay competition by ISP in 1998
- Second prize in essay competition by ISP in 1999
- First prize in essay competition by ISP in 2013
- Recipient of LTRG by MUHS Nashik in 2014
- Recipient of 4 Copy rights from Government of India
- Total of 90 National and international publications
- Presented scientific papers in National IDA and specialty conferences
Dr. Surekha Rathod
- FAIMER FELLOW
- PhD Guide, PhD Examiner and PhD Scholar
- Best performer award in 2014
- Bachelor of Psychology and Bachelor of Journalism
- Total of 76 National and international publications
- VIHASA Facilitator
- Awarded Research grant and first prize in AVISHKAR competition (2014-15) by MUHS Nashik. First Prize
In ISP Essay Competition – 2016 and Second Prize In ISP Essay Competition – 2019
- Has presented scientific papers and posters in national and international conferences
- Awarded Travel Grant for international conference by MUHS Nashik
Dr. Dhawal Mody
- Executive committee member: Indian Society of Periodontology.
- Chairperson for Scientific Session at 44 th ISP National Conference, Bangalore, Nov 2019.
- Listerine Lecture Series 2019 on Oral Hygeine Day, August 2019
- Faculty speaker at IDC Indore jan 2019
- Recipient of 1 Copy rights from Government of India
- Recipient of LTRG by MUHS nashik
- 15 research paper publication in national and international journals
- Paper and poster presentations at national conferences
- Consolation prize in essay competition held on international yoga day june 2018.
- Best individual performer for the year 2019 VSPM dental college and research centre Nagpur
Dr. Kamalkishor Mankar
- Judge for Poster Competition at 44 th ISP National Conference, Bangalore, Nov 2019.
- Award for best scientific paper presentation by IDA Nagpur 2006
- Recipient of STRG from MUHS Nashik 2016
- Guest speaker in intern’s orientation program.
- 4 National and international publications
- Scientific paper and poster presentation in national and international conferences
Dr Tushar Shrirao
- Executive committee member: Indian Society of Periodontology
Dr. Girish Bodhare
- Dr. G. B. Shankwalkar Memorial Dental Research Paper Prize for IDA MSB at 58 th Maharashtra State Dental Conference, Nasik, December 2019.
- Best Paper Presentation Prize on 44 th ISP National Conference, Bangalore, Nov 2019.
- IDA Excellence Awards, 2nd Most Active IDA Member in NIDACON 2019.
- First prize for best scientific poster presentation at IDA Conference NIDACON March 2016.
- Best scientific paper by IDA Member at IDA Nagpur Branch Annual Awards 2016
- Second Prize in Essay competition at International College Of Dentist Essay Competition 2016
- PG representative, SWA(Student Welfare Association), VSPMDCRC – 2016-2017
- Second prize in Scientific Table Clinics presentation at College Fest - Dhadkan 2017 at VSPMDCRC,
- Best Debator at College Fest Dhadkan 2015 at VSPMDCRC.
- Paper and Poster presentation in various National Conferences.
Dr. Vrushali Lathiya
- Recipient of a copyright from the Government of India.
- Second prize in Essay Competition conducted by Indian Society of Periodontology in November 2019.
- Second prize in Essay Competition conducted by IDA Nagpur branch in April 2020.
- Second prize in E-Slogan Competition on International Yoga Day 21st June 2020.
- First prize for ‘100 metres running’ at “DHADKAN” Annual College Fest held in February 2020.
- Second prize in Sketching Competition at “DHADKAN” Annual College Fest held in February 2020.
- Best Research paper award by IDA Nagpur, January 2019
- First prize in Scientific Paper presentation at 57th Maharashtra State Dental Conference, Pune in November 2018.
- First prize in Poster presentation on International Yoga Day, June 2019
- First prize in scientific paper presentation and Cricket in DHADKAN- 2016
Dr. Pranita Rode
- Second Prize in “Extempore” at Dhadkan 2015.
- Best Team Prize in “Debate Competition” at Dhadkan 2015.
- Second Prize in International College of Dentists Essay Competition: December 2016.
- Award for conducting Master Class Session & Demonstration on – “PCR Methodologyas Diagnostics: A study to associate resistin gene and its polymorphism with inflammatory conditions” at National Conference of ISP, Nagpur, October 2016.
- Second prize in paper presentation at Dhadkan, 2016.
- Dr. G. B. Shankwalkar Memorial Dental Research Paper Prize by IDA MSB at 57th Maharashtra State
Dental Conference, Pune, November 2018.
- Best Paper Presentation Prize on at 57th Maharashtra State Dental Conference, Pune, November 2018.
- IDA Excellence Awards for Most Active/ Outstanding IDA Member, Nagpur Branch 2018.
Dr. Pranjali Bawankar
- Third Prize in ISP National Essay competition 2020 in Category IV –Life Member
- Second Prize in ISPRP National Essay Competition in Staff Category.
- First Prize in IDA, Nagpur Branch, Essay Competition “Combating COVID 19- Indian Perspective”
- First Prize in IDA, Nagpur Branch, e-poster Competition “Combating COVID 19”.
- First Prize in Essay Competition in Staff Category organized by SWA committee, VSPM DCRC, Nagpur.
- First prize in cricket DHADKAN AGNEYA 2020
- Second prize, in ISP essay competition at 44 th ISP National Conference, Bangalore in Nov 2019.
- Speaker at Interns orientation program 2019 and 2020.
- Paper and poster presentations at national and international conferences.
- 15 research paper publication in National and International Journals.
Periodontal diseases have affected mankind since the earliest of times. Current research has been demonstrating that a person’s overall health is related to his oral health. Thus, the elimination of oral infections is important to overall health.
Since long, research has been the prime focus of the department with research activities focusing largely on the pathogenesis of periodontal diseases and the various Surgical and Non-Surgical treatment modalities employed for its cure.
Clinical and Biochemical studies are being carried out in the department to evaluate the effect of Periodontal therapy on the biochemical markers of inflammation along with the clinical parameters. Also, the studies analyzing the effect of newer bone graft materials and Guided Tissues Regeneration in Periodontal Regeneration are being done on a regular basis.
A recent focus of departmental research is on the effect of newer treatment modalities like LASERS and Photodynamic therapy in the treatment of periodontal diseases. Also, there is research going on in the field of Dental Implants and related complications. The Department emphasizes using recent and advanced diagnostic aids like PCR, ELISA and also more accurate imaging modalities like CBCT with these aids being regularly used in the studies going on in the Department.
Extensive research work is done in the department by the Postgraduate students and the Staff. The Department also has two Copyrights to its credit namely, “VSPM Radiographic Scale for assessment of Schneiderian membrane” and “Comprehensive Classification System for Furcation Involvement” from Copyrights Office, Government of India.
Total no of research projects completed till date: 50
Ongoing research projects: 23
Patents: Application pending with Govt of India for “A device use to measure intraoral dimensions required for implant placement”.
Copyrights: 2 Copyrights (Register of Copyrights, Government of India)
- Year: 1/10/2020
Title: Sequential Assessment Protocol In Scaling and Root Planing
Name of authors: 1) Dr. Rajashri A Kolte, 2) Dr. Abhay P Kolte, 3) Dr. Divya S Trivedi
- Year: 1/10/2020
Title: Algorithms in Evaluation of Periodontal Flap Surgery.
Name of authors: 1) Dr. Abhay P Kolte, 2) Dr. Rajashri A Kolte
Immediate Implant 2
|Sr No.||Name of Procedure Performed|
|2.||Implant placement with ridge split|
|10.||Free gingival graft|
|12.||Guided Tissue regeneration|
|14||Direct Sinus lift|
|15||Indirect Sinus Lift|
|16||Socket preservation using GBR and DFDBA|
|17||Periodontal Flap Surgery|
|20||Bone Grafting Procedures|
|21||Scaling and root planning|