Dental education today must ensure that professionals are well equipped to deal with the challenges of tomorrow .In increasingly globalised scenario ,the way we educate our professionals will decide the future of our country.
Dental education strives to balance the use of traditional teaching methods with technologically advanced systems to meet the needs of an expanding curriculum. Primary goals include the development of a knowledge base for problem solving, fostering inquisitive mind and a critical appreciation of developments. Secondary goals include gaining knowledge of human behavior and skills in patient communication and management.
Educators are faced with many challenges like limited time for didactic and clinical coursework, limited clinical material ,so on..Therefore it is important that expectations of what can be achieved should be realistic but at the same time training should make clinicians who are able to manage problems in given situation and available resources and also adapt themselves to future demands of profession.
Thus the need to produce effective teachers, ones who are competent(have clinical knowledge and skills)as well as performers (able to impart the knowledge and skills to their pupils) also. So it was decided by Dean Dr Usha Radke, after consultations with management and senior faculty to form a Dental Education Technology (DET) Unit at VSPMDCRC to address these issues in a systematic manner.
To create & sustain well trained faculty base and to encourage education related research for academic advancement.
To provide quality dental healthcare to community by excellence in dental education.
Date: 10th of July 2012
By Prof. Dr. Arun Jamkar - Vice Chancellor of Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Nashik in presence of Shri Ranjeetbabu Deshmukh (Chairman, VSPMAHE), Dr Ashish Deshmukh (Treasurer, VSPMAHE), Mr P K Banerjee (Secretary, VSPMAHE), Shri Dilip Bhagade (Project Director VSPMAHE), Dr Usha Radke (Dean- VSPMDCRC),Dr S R Shenoi (Vice Dean VSPMDCRC), Dr V K Hazare (Dean, GDC & H , Nagpur).
Dr S Dasgupta Dean NKPSIMS was the guest of honor, a soveniour was also released at this event.
• A one day workshop on Leadership for Academicians was organized under the Silver Jubilee Celebrations on 18th Nov 2014. Guest speaker was Dr Nagesh Rao, President Director of MICA, former faculty with IIM Ahmedabad.
• Three days Research Methodology workshop conducted for post-graduate students of VSPM Dental College & Research Centre on 26TH- 28TH August 2015.
• A guest lecture by Prof Sumant Tekade was organized for all staff and students of VSPM Dental College & Research Centre on 8th Sep 2015. He spoke on Leadership Qualities of Shivaji Maharaj which was very well appreciated by the audience.
• Two days Resident as a Teacher workshop was conducted on 26th- 27th Oct 2015 for post-graduate students of VSPM Dental College & Research Centre
• Guest Lecture by Dr Vilas Deshpande (Joint Director Vivekanand Mission, Nagpur) on 12th January National Youth Day on Swami Vivekananda & Youth for Interns & PG students.