The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology deals with the diagnosis and non-surgical management of Oro- facial diseases and the oral manifestations of systemic disorders, as well as with the maxillofacial imaging. Theory lectures and practical postings are conducted for the III and IV BDS students. Post graduation started in the subject from 2009 with the intake capacity of 3 students per year. Oral radiology is well equipped with the conventional as well as advanced imaging facilities utilized for the Under-graduate as well as Post Graduate students.
Tobacco Cessation Centre has been started in the department as per the DCI guidelines for which a lecture was conducted in December 2018 by eminent speaker Dr Sushil Gawande, Associate Professor MD Psychiatry on topic on Management of Difficult Patient. Patients who develop addiction to tobacco or related products are systematically counseled in this unit by trained staff members of the department and kept under regular follow up for their habit cessation.
Also small group teaching discussion exercise for final years is regularly conducted by staff. Along with this a separate case based group discussions also initiated for Post-Graduate students on Cone Beam Computed tomography & Computed Tomography images to upgrade their knowledge.
Innovative Teaching Methods
1. Computer assisted learning program. 2. Dental quiz as an active teaching method. 3. Video demonstration of processing of radiographs. 4. Learning intraoral radiographic landmarks by tracing. 5. Evaluation of UG students by OSCE Method. 6. Evaluation of PG students by DOPS Method.
The Department is working to improve the quality of patient care and student education by doing continuous research on various topics.
Also, the Department is planning to install ‘Cone Beam Computed Tomography’ unit in near future.
- Developed “Tobacco Cessation Centre” at VSPMDCRC as per guidelines laid by DCI.2019
- Successfully conducted a hands-on workshop on CBCT and its interpretation on 13 Jan 2018
- Celebrated and conducted head and neck cancer week program during 22-29 July 2017. Awareness lectures were conducted during this week at schools, industries, and nearby satellite centers by department faculty.
- Awarded as “Best Department” on 26th Jan 2016
- Conducted a webinar on Management of Oro-facial Disorders: A Physiotherapeutic approach on 28 Nov 2014.
- Chief Guest and Guest Speaker in CDE titled,” Changing era of Dental Radiology: Basics to Advances” at Govt. Dental College, Nagpur, 15 February 2018.
- Guest speaker at International Dental conference 16-17 March 2018, Chennai.
- Keynote speaker in CDE titled “CBCT and Implantology” at VYWS Dental college &Hospital, 25 September 18, Amravati.
- Participated as Moderator in X National Conference on Health Professions Education (NCHPE 18) & II MUHS state-level health science Education Technology Research Conference 2018-19.
- Faculty for Pre-Conference workshop: “Faculty Development Programme -assessment methods”, National IAOMR conference, Udaipur 23-25 nov.18
- Presented paper at APD Conference, Dubai, and Hongkong, June 2014 and 17-19June, 2016.
- Headed and Developed a Dental education technology unit in 2012 and approved MUHS faculty for dental education technology.
- Awarded as “Best individual performer” by VSPMDCRC in 2014-15.
- Won 2nd Prize in National Essay competition Best Essay at National IAOMR conference, 4-6th Dec 2009.
- Recognized as ‘Scientific Convenor” for 27th National IAOMR conference, 6-8 Jan 2006, Wardha
Dr. Apeksha Dhole (Balpande)
- Faculty for ‘Teachers’s traing and professional Development program,’by BBD University/ Lucknow on 18th & 19th Sept 2020
- Panelist for session’ Assessment’, by AMROPIN Faculty development programme on 28th Aug 2020
- Resource faculty for ‘ Basic workshop in Health Sciences Education Technology, SGPN’s Nanded Rural Dental College and Research Center, Nanded
- Awarded Third prize for essay National Essay competition at 17thNational Triple O Symposium, Mumbai on 15th to 17th March 2019.
- Completed ‘Advanced certificate course in health sciences education technology MUHS certificate course from Jan 2016 to June 2016.
- Awarded with ‘Scroll of Honour’, by JCI Medico for the outstanding contribution for activities during the year 2019 and 2020
- Awarded as ‘Outstanding performer’, at EPS workshop by JCI Medico Aug 2019.
- Contributed as co-author for books
- Lycopene- in the treatment of OSMF, published in 2019.
- Vitamins in Dentistry- A Comprehensive Review’ published in 2018.
- Comprehensive review on medical emergencies in a dental office, published in 2017.
- Guest lecture on ‘Tobacco-free youth,’ at Govt ITI college, Katol on 16th Oct 2019.
- Reviewer for Journal of International Clinical Dental Research Organization (JICDRO), Oct 2019.
Dr. Tapasya 1 Awarded as “Best Individual Performer” from VSPMDCRC on 26th Jan 2020. 2 Conducted Tobacco Cessation counseling “Let’s make it Routine Practice !!!” Workshop at XXXI National Conference held on 15th November 2019 At SGRD Dental College, Amritsar 3 Conducted Workshop 8 Inter-Professional Education: Guide For Implementation Held at the International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia On 5th August 2019 4 Invited as a guest speaker at International Oral Precancer and Cancer Congress (IOPCC 2019), Lucknow. 5 SPEAKER in 18th OOO symposium and 4th International oral and pre oral congress at Maulana Azad Institute of dental Sciences, New Delhi 6th – 8th March, 2020 6 Authored a book “viva voce in oral Medicine and Radiology” (Print: CBS Pub.) Jan 2019. 7 Won best paper presentation award at the National Conference of Occupational Health hazards and its holistic management in 2018, Jan. 8 Selected for and awarded Scholarship from WHO and BP Koirala institute of dental sciences, Nepal, to attend a 3rdregional course on in GCP course in Aug 2017. 9 Completed and awarded prestigious FAIMER FELLOWSHIP- CMCL, Ludhiana in 2016. 10 Developed an interactive computer-assisted learning program on “white lesions” and mobile app based on analytical skills on “Radiodiagnosis”2015.
Dr. Anuraag Choudhary
- Guest speaker at 19 Manipur State DentalConference,2018 held at Auditorium, JNIMS, Imphal on 8 & 9 December 2018.
- Guest speaker in CDE program IDA at Akola 23rdDecember 2018
- Guest speaker at IDA Yeotmal Branch Feb 2018
- Conducting CDE on CBCT ‘Redefining Digital Dentistry’ at SDK dental college on 15thJune 2017.
- Guest speaker on USG as a diagnostic tool in oral cancer-a review Kolkata World Cancer Congress Health Care Summit 20-22 September 2017.
- As a Guest Speaker in first ever National Indian Prosthodontic Society Conference at Pre-conference Course 6 Dec 2020 on Topic CBCT in Implant Imaging.
- As a Guest Speaker in International Webinar on Dental &Oral health on topic CBCT- A Paradigm Shift on Oct- 26, 2020
- As a Guest Speaker in International Webinar in International Webinar on Dental &Oral health on topic utility of TeleRadiology in Denntistry – A Paradigm Shift- The Time is now.
- Speaker at National Webinar on CBCT in Radiodiagnosis at Rajnandgao 9th November 2020
- Speaker on “TECHNICAL CONSIDERATION, PRINCIPLE INTERPRETATION OF CBCT” held on 17th February 2020 at Bhandara.
Dr. Smriti Jagdhari Golhar
- Paper presented at Sleepcon (International Sleep Conference) 2011 Nagpur
- 2nd prize in poster presentation - NIDACON 2012
- Poster presented at “Awareness of Oral Cancer in Out Door Patients in VSPMSDCRC”- International cancer conference ACOS 2016 Delhi
- Best paper presentation award (Faculty) - PG Convention Bhubaneswar, Odisha 2017
- Video presentation at 29th annual ball Congress on Dental Medicine in Dentistry held on 16-18 October 2017 in New York, USA And 39th Asia-Pacific Dental and Oral Care Congress held on 26-28, 2017 in Osaka, Japan
- Paper presented “Therapeutic Evaluation of Cervical Dysfunction in Patients with Myofascial Pain Dysfunction Syndrome: A Prospective Study”. International Dental Conference Bioleagues Chennai 16-17 march 2018
- Paper presented “Different treatment modalities in MPDS with cervical pain patients - A Prospective Study” International Conference on Dental and Oral Health 13-14 Aug 2018 Dubai UAE
- Guest Lecture on Study of correlation between Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and Mayofacial pain dysfunction syndrome with cervical pain at International Webinar on Advanced Dentistry and Dental Science held during July 18,2020 | Totonto,Canada
- E poster Presentation o Different treatments modalities in MPDS with cervical painPatients – A Prospective Study at the “10th International Conference on Advanced Dentistry & Dental Science” Held during July 18, 2020 in Toronto, Canada
- Member of Saket Foundationand participating actively in all camps n activity.
Dr.Apurva Mohite Khator
- Conducted a webinar as a guest speaker in SDK dental college titled’Paperless administration’ on 11th and 12th January 2021.
- Awarded with the young researcher award in Oral and maxillofacial science by Education icon awards 2020 on 28th December 2020.
- Conducted a webinar as a speaker in VSPM DCRC college titled’Paperless administration’ 12th November 2020.
- Received MUHS Long term research grant of Rs. 1 lakh for the study titled ‘A novel protocol for the management of patients with TMJ disorders’ in January 2019.
- Speaker at Interns orientation program on 24th-26th September 2019 at VSPM DCRC.
- Presented paper titled ‘a study to evaluate and compare the reliability of cheiloscopy and palatoscopy in gender determination’ at National IAOMR PG Convention, at V.S. Dental college & Hospital, Bangalore on 23rd & 24th August 2019.
- Presented a Poster at the ACOS International conference, New Delhi,7th -8th April 2016.
- Represented VSPM DCRC as the teacher-in-charge at SPANDAN 2016.
- Presented a paper at National IAOMR PG Convention, Vijaywada.24th-25th2018
- Participated in CDE Programe on “Temporo-mandibular Disorders : A Simplified Approach” held on 30th August 2019.
Post Graduate student
- Dr. Adiba
For securing 1st prize in the 2nd National Symbiotic Interdisciplinary Conference and Competition held from 9th to 11th December 2020
The department of Oral Medicine and Radiology is always at the forefront in undertaking extensive research in newer fields. Studies are being carried out on CBCT, Radio-videography, OPG and Lateral Cephalograms by the departmental postgraduate students. Innovative drug trials are being conducted with long term follow-ups and positive results.
Also, a long term research project involving MRI and Occlusal splints in Temporo-mandibular joint disorder patients is in progress. Various questionnaire studies are also carried out successfully and published. On the whole, the entire Department is very keen on conducting research activities which are guided and always encouraged by the Head of the department.
Total research projects completed to date: 10
Ongoing research projects: 06
3 Lichen Planus
6 Hand Foot And Mouth
7 Herpetic Whitlow
8 Herpes Zoster
10 Traumatic Ulcer
The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology deals with the diagnosis and non-surgical management
- Oro- facial diseases and the oral manifestations of systemic disorders
- Oral Pre-cancerous lesions and conditions like Leukoplakia, OSMF, Lichen Planus, Erythroplakia
- Oral cancer
- Congenital maxillofacial lesions
- Viral lesion
- Tobacco Cessation Centre has been started in the department as per the DCI guidelines in December 2018.
The Department of Oral and maxilla-facial Radiology deals with the radiographic diagnosis of Congenital, Inflammatory, Traumatic, Odontogenic cyst & Tumors and non Odontogenic Tumors as well as with the miscellaneous disorders like Fibro-osseous Lesions.
मी राम मेश्राम वय ४० वर्षे , माझ्या दातांची ट्रीटमेंट व्ही एस पी एम डेंटल कॉलेज व हॉस्पिटल येथे केले इथे सर्व स्टाफ खूपच कॉपरेटीव्ह आहे माझे उपचार योग्य पद्धतीने केले व मी इथे होणाऱ्या उपचाराची माहिती सर्वांना देणार आहे मी ह्या उपचाराने फार समाधानी आहे
मै रमेश भाटिया , उम्र ५० साल , दांत के दर्द के लिए व्हे एस पि एम् डेंटल कॉलेज में इलाज कराने आया था यहाँ मेरा बराबर तरीके से इलाज किया गया तथा उपचार की सलाह डाक्टरों द्वारा दी गयी मै मेरे इस ट्रीटमेंट से बहुत समाधानी हु और मेरे बाकी क दोस्त और परिवार वालो को यहाँ ट्रीटमेंट कराने की अवश्य सलाह दूंगा