Yoga and Wellness
‘Wellness’ is an active process through which people become aware of and make choices toward a more successful existence. Wellness is a multifaceted concept that incorporates seven dimensions namely – social, emotional, physical, intellectual, spiritual, environmental and occupational wellness. These aspects are believed to be a worthy focus for employee and student wellness programs. It is important to be able to identify these dimensions and implement a program that addresses these within an organization.
The World Health Organization defines wellness as ‘not only the absence of illness but a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being.’ Healthcare professionals (teaching/ non-teaching staff & students) play an essential and vital role in improving access and quality health care to the population by providing necessary services that promote health and prevent diseases for healthy nation. Healthcare professionals encounter stressful situations every day and they ignore their own health. Keeping all the above aspects in mind, “Wellness centre” of VSPM Dental College and Research Centre, Nagpur was established in 2014 for all the teaching and non- teaching staffs and students complete wellbeing.
- To prepare staff and students with the understanding, skills, and experiences to lead happy lives.
- To understand the relationship between personal behaviors and lifelong health and wellness.
- To assess the staff’s and student’s own level of health and wellness and understand how these levels impact their quality of life.
- To identify and implement strategies to improve wellness.
- Naturalistic interior
- Air-conditioned room
- Yoga mats
- Music system
- Sitting facility
- Posters to display various poses of exercises
- Appointed Yoga Trainer of Yogabhyasi Mandal who regularly conducts classes for all students and staff.
- Every year ‘Wellness Centre’ in association with Interns Monitoring Committee has been organized various intercollegiate ( VSPM Dental College and Research Centre, NKP SIMS, VSPM College of Physiotherapy, VSPM Nursing College) competitions (yoga, essay, poster, slogan & rangoli, etc) every year for staff and students on the occasion of ‘International Yoga Day’ ‘on 21st June’ for last five years. The winners were felicitated to promote and encourage them for regular wellness practice. This program contributes to global awareness initiative taken by our Government of India to promote ‘Ancient Indian Yoga’ Worldwide.
- Assessment of the health-promoting lifestyle of healthcare professions is done.
- Staff and students practiced Exercises, Yoga, Pranayam, Meditation, etc. in the Wellness Centre daily.
Practicing exercises ultimately leads to long-term health and well-being. Wellness center plays a major role in achieving peace of mind, maintain increased energy levels, improve flexibility, and find inspiration to channelize energies in the right direction. It is helping in the overall progress of the Institution and organization through capability enhancement and development of Staff and Students.
IMPORTANCE OF SCHEME:
- Improving balance in life.
- Improve mood, anxiety, posture, and sleep.
- Improve life satisfaction and relationships.
- Boosting memory and attention.
- Reduce stress and improve academic achievement.
- Improve the Immune and nervous system.
- Immense benefits on the overall health and well-being.